I finished my last final of Winter quarter today! WOOOOO YEAH BABY. Spring Break finally! If you're currently in college or have been, then you probably know the feeling of finals-week-exhaustion, followed by pure, blissful relief when that one last (annoying) final is FINALly over.
Clouds covered the sky as I made my way back to my apartment, a sight that induced even more joy because there are few things I love more than clouds + music + cookie-baking.
Oh, but these are no ordinary cookies, my friends. No - these are high-protein, chocolate-PB-protein bar stuffed pumpkin cookies, free of oil, refined sugar, dairy, and gluten. BAM. What a way to end the week.
Yes, I know I'm not a "normal" college girl because I didn't spend the first day of spring break out at the beach with friends, but I really could care less. I got me a mouthful of cookies instead :)
P.S. if you've never had a Squarebar, change that NOW by clicking here. Seriously, these organic protein bars taste like all my favorite childhood candies (I was a chocolate-girl, not a sweet/sour girl) bundled up into perfectly re-made, healthy alternatives. I chop them up for nice cream (see ya later, Dairy Queen), snack on them for dessert, aaaaaaand stuff them inside cookies :)
Makes about 14 small cookies
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (or other unrefined sugar)
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. flax seed meal + 5 tbsp. water)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 scoop protein powder
1-2 protein bars (I used a chocolate coated PB SquareBar), chopped
Coconut oil, for the pan
Optional: extra chocolate chips, cacao nibs, nuts, for stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and a light coating of coconut oil.
- Stir together the first 4 ingredients until combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours and protein powder and slowly add to the wet ingredients.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the dough onto the baking sheet and place a piece of the protein powder (and any extra add-ins) in the center of each portion. Top with an additional small scoop of dough to "close" each cookie so that the protein bar inside isn't peeking out.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and firm. Let them cool slightly, and then dig in!
Well, what'd ya' think? Leave a comment below! Email me! Take a pic and tag me and #hungryhaley on instagram!