"What should we make for dinner?" - me
"I don't know, what do we have?" - her
*takes inventory of fridge* "Hmmm I have some sweet potatoes, too many zucchini, kale, corn tortillas that I bought a month ago and haven't opened yet, and vegan cheese...
.... I GOT IT - tostadas!" - me
"Um, okay?" - her
"Just wait. Can you steam those zucchini and the kale? I'll get the tortillas going, and everything will be ready in like 15 minutes. Trust me, it's gonna' be gooooooooood." - me
And good it was :) it was one of those clean-out-the-fridge kind of dinners, and one I'd be rude not to share as a recipe with you. Not to toot my own horn, but you're welcome.
Makes 6 tostadas
6 corn tortillas
2 medium sweet potatoes, baked or boiled, mashed
1 1/2-2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup steamed kale
1 medium zucchini, sliced and steamed
1 cup cooked rice (optional)
Paprika, for sprinkling
Vegan cheese, salsa, avocado, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the corn tortillas on the sheet and bake for about 5 minutes, or until they crispy lightly. Remove and set aside.
- It's best to have the sweet potatoes, lentils, kale, and zucchini prepped by the time the tortillas are done, but you can prep them while the tortillas are cooking, if you like.
- Start by spreading the mashed sweet potatoes on the corn tortillas evenly, then lay the kale and zucchini on top, followed by the rice and lentils. Sprinkle with vegan cheese, if using, and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the edges crisp to a golden brown.
- Remove, allow to cool, and top with avocado and salsa.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!