I know of some people, mostly busy moms, who don’t necessarily see cooking and preparing food the way same way I do, which is totally fine. No two human beings are the same. We don’t all share the same interests. Here’s what I’m saying…
While some people prefer quantity over quality, I prefer it vice versa. I would rather have a small plate of well-prepared, sustainable, fresh, healthy, good-tasting food (kind of a mouthful) than a huge portion of fast-food. I would also rather spend an hour or two chopping vegetables, mincing garlic, making homemade dough, etc. while I have the time (not in college yet, so I’m basking in my free time) than buy a bag of already-prepared vegetables or frozen pizza dough.
Ya feel me? Good.
That’s why this salad tasted so good. I put time and effort into each part of it. All the vegetables were bought fresh that day and hand-cut (or sliced, or veggie-noodled) by me. I wanted to do that.
And it was worth it, my friends.
The veggies were crisp and juicy. The dressing was light, yet bursting with flavor. Everything paired together so deliciously!
This recipe does demand some time out of your day, but like I already said, its so so so worth it.
Makes about 5 servings
2 Italian squash
2 large carrots
¼ head red cabbage
2 large red bell pepper
½ cup thinly sliced green onion
1 cup Thai Citrus Dressing
cilantro and sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Wash the squash (that rhymes) and cut off the ends. Using a veggie noodle-maker, twist the squash into the maker and then chop the pile once or twice. Squeeze out excess water with a paper towel, set aside.
2. Peel the skin off the carrots and discard. Continue to peel the carrot into thin shreds. Set aside.
3. Slice the cabbage into thin strips and set aside.
4. Combine the veggies in a large Tupperware container and mix.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and cover the container. Carefully making sure the top is secure, shake the Tupperware to evenly distribute the dressing. Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.