I, like, HATE beans. Hate them. Black, pinto, white, navy, all of ‘em. I think it’s the texture that gets to me. Plus, they’re too musical – if you get what I’m saying.
So why in the world did I buy three cans of chickpeas, then? Well, I have these mouth-watering cookies, and these delicious, chocolate-y brownie-bites, and they call for chickpeas. I also had some big plans of making hummus sometime.
Hasn’t happened yet.
And I can’t just eat cookies all the time, either.
So, I ventured out of my cooking-comfort zone the other day. Guess what I did?
I cooked with beans, y’all. I had just worked out, I was starving, and I was feeling adventurous. To be honest though, my stomach was not getting excited about everything I was cooking up.
But I forced myself to be a big girl and eat my beans. Here’s what happened.
IT’S SO GOOD.
And it’s even better with a little leftover tofu thrown in…
I encourage you this week to...
1) try re-making something you’ve always hated
2) try breaking a naughty habit you’ve held onto for too long (coffee and sugar, for me)
If you need any advice, I’m here! I’d love to help out or just listen to the struggle of going caffeine-free that I now know very well.
Don’t let yourself depend on anything – be independent and take control of your eating/lifestyle habits. You’ll be amazed at what happens!
Makes 1 serving
5-6 baby portabella mushrooms, sliced with stems removed
2 cups baby spinach
½ cup chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
½ tsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. tamari or gluten-free, reduced-sodium soy sauce
1. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Coat with olive oil and cook the garlic until it looks golden brown. Throw in the mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
2. Stir the mushrooms, doing your best to flip them and cook well on both sides. Add the chickpeas and curry powder.
3. When the chickpeas have golden hints on them, meaning they have brown on some sides, toss in the spinach and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
4. Remove the pan from heat and drizzle tamari over the mixture. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy!