Yes, you read that correctly - I cook in class every single Friday and it's AWESOME. Read on to see what we made today!
Bananas (probably 5?) + 1 tbsp. chia seeds + coffee with almond milk
- Call me weird (people do it all the time), but I actually do really crave this for breakfast. The simple flavors and textures are the subtlety I need right away in the morning (especially after a long, tiring, dehydrating night of line dancing).
Lunch (both parts)
Pt. 1 - COOKING FOR CLASS! My favorite class e v e r. Today's lab was all about veggies, and my group was assigned to some curried chickpea carrot chia burgers (say that ten times fast).
- I had one chickpea burger (lightly fried in olive oil and topped with an almond butter dressing) + steamed broccoli and cabbage + chana masala (made with chickpeas) + one soyrizo-and-quinoa-stuffed pepper. All of this on my plate was vegan and SO GOOD. Seriously, I was amazed that my classmates and I actually cooked all this delicious food. I probably could've eaten more, but we had to clean up and get ready to leave. Nevertheless, I left satisfied and proud and so grateful for the opportunity to take such a class, sharing my passion for food with others in yet another situation :)
Pt. 2 - mini sourdough spaghetti squash sandwiches along with some baby carrots on the side.
- I studied for about an hour after class so I was starving when I finally got home to make this at around 1:45 or 2:00 PM. All three of these disappeared within a matter of probably ten minutes...
- The filling is spaghetti squash + Dijon mustard + nutritional yeast + minced garlic + tumeric + onion powder with steamed kale.
Green grapes - who knows how much...
- I needed a little study snack at around 4:00 PM and I needed to eat these little beauties before they went bad. Grapes are definitely one of my favorite fruits - easy to munch on, hydrating, and sweet and delicious and pretty much perfect :)
VEGAN SUSHI! roasted sweet potato + avocado + cucumber
- Not gonna' lie, I was actually very proud of myself - look how pretty and cute they are! I don't think I've had sushi since I officially went vegan in September... wowza. These hit the spot so much that I just had to make another roll for myself, which I kind of regretted later on. I forgot how rich and sticky the sticky rice is and I was extremely full after finishing it.
- I sipped on some water throughout the night and tried not to think about it. My friends and I went bowling and I just wanted to have fun, so I reminded myself that tomorrow is a new day and the sushi I made wasn't fried or oily or unhealthy in anyway - I just ate a little too much. No big deal, right? It's just food!
So that's it for today! I definitely ate more than usual, but that's probably only because I didn't get enough sleep the night before. Lack of sleep produces a lack of leptin - the appetite-regulating hormone - consequently encouraging us to eat more. This study found that participants who got little sleep craved more sweets and junk food than their well-rested counterparts. I didn't crave junk food yesterday, but I did feel more hungry than usual, so I promised myself a night of better sleep tonight. Every once in a while, a lack of sleep is nothing to stress over. I had tons of fun the night before, so I'd say it was worth it.
Take care of your body by a) feeding it when its hungry (even if that means more often than usual for a day or two), b) getting enough rest, and c) reminding it how beautiful and smart and special it is :)