Hungry Haley

it's more than food

Savory Honey Cornbread Waffles (GF)

Entree, GFHaley HansenComment

Two hours of lecture in Community Nutrition, three hours of lab in Clinical Nutrition, and just like that, my first day of my fifth year in college (or seventeenth year of school in general, if you want to look at it like that) is over. Just about 88 days stand between me in regular clothes and me in a cap and gown, baby!

Savory Honey Cornbread Waffles (GF)

I’ve been SUCH a Debby Downer about starting school lately. Like, it’s bad. I apologize to surrounding friends and classmates if my negativity brings you down and I will do my best to change my attitude. I sound like a four year old who’s just been freed from time-out, but I’m actually a twenty-two year old who just wants her degree already. Soon enough, Haley. Soon enough.

Walking through campus yesterday, scanning the passing crowds of students - some texting, some laughing, some rushing from class-to-class - I realized I don’t really recognize anyone. Those I would recognize graduated last June. So, it’s just me and the year-younger class. I’ve grown close with many of those classmates (or, as close as one can grow with classmates, I guess) and those relationships are making the transition from one of the best summers into my final year of school a wee bit easier.

To begin my Clinical Nutrition lab period, my professor introduced herself (even though most of us already know her, thanks to a small major) and asked us all what our post-grad plans are. 99% are pursuing a Registered Dietitian credential. I’m the remaining 1%, indicated by an awkward show of hand… just my own hand. “So, what do you plan on doing?” she followed up. “I want to open my own café and continue blogging and cookbook-writing”, I answered, hoping she would either look interested and maybe ask one or two more related questions, or just move on to her next topic. Instead of both of those, she paused - trying HARD to find some relevance of Clinical Nutrition - and then, “Weeellllllll… I guess Clinical Nutrition will be useful when you want to create compliant Diabetic or Heart-Healthy menus?”

Savory Honey Cornbread Waffles (GF)

It was one of those half-questioning herself/half-questioning me statements. She must have gathered from the look on my face that my awareness that not much of what I learn here will be applicable in my future plans because I just nodded and the awkward conversation ended. Thankfully, several of my classmates follow my blog and have told me they love it (thanks guys!), so I didn’t feel like an outcast as much as I otherwise might have without the support of my peers cheering me on as I choose a rather uncommon career path.

Savory Honey Cornbread Waffles (GF)

When they become RD’s and when I’ve got my café up and running, we can exchange customers and clients. I’ll send them any of my customers with serious health concerns, and they’ll send me their “outpatients” who are ready for delicious and nutritious food. See, it’ll all work out.

Now, only about 87 more days… :)

Makes 4-5 large round waffles

3/4 cup gf flour blend
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp. flax seed meal
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. oil
3-4 tbsp. pure honey
1 egg
For topping: fried egg, avocado, salt and pepper, fresh herbs

  1. In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, water, oil, honey, and egg until combined. Set aside.

  2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and spices. Pour the wet into the dry and mix again until just combined and only a few lumps remain.

  3. Heat the waffle iron and grease with a little oil if needed. Drop about 1/4 cup of waffle batter into the iron and close, cooking until crisp and golden brown on both sides. Cooking time will vary for different waffle markers, so keep an eye on yours. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

  4. If you choose to add the egg, cook that as you prefer now. Top the waffle with avocado, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs. Serve with the egg and mixed greens.

  5. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to one week, or in the freezer for a couple months.

  6. Enjoy!

Savory Honey Cornbread Waffles (GF)